- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 cup milk
- 6 yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Cut the pod longitudinally and boil in the milk at low heat, let steep for 15 minutes
- Scrape the seeds from the pod with the back of a knife and put them back in the milk
- In a separate container beat the yolks with the sugar and corn starch until creamy; add the milk mixture a little at a time, continue mixing over low heat until it thickens. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In yet another container beat the cream until you reach soft peaks
- Fold in the egg/vanilla/milk mixture
- At this point you should follow your ice cream machine's instructions for churning
given that this is an egg-based ice cream, the texture is creamier and thicker than if it didn't have egg. AND since we used real vanilla, this tastes very different than what those cheap candles smell like!